In 1865 Robert P. Parrott ordered a stately office building be built as a symbol of the West Point Foundry's national prestige and success. Once constructed, the building's distinctive cupola was easily visible from various places in the landscape, including locations throughout the factory, the worker and management housing on Mount Rascal, and from West Point and ships passing on the Hudson River. As the physical and symbolic center of administrative power on the site, the office was an important part of the productive process. Archaeological excavation permitted a detailed reconstruction of the building's construction, use, reuse and abandonment.
The Journal of the Society for Industrial Archeology
Two seasons of excavation at the 1865 office building at scenic Hudson's West Point foundry preserve.
The Journal of the Society for Industrial Archeology,
35 (1/2), 105-115.
Retrieved from: https://digitalcommons.mtu.edu/social-sciences-fp/82