Executive Director: Theodore J. Bornhorst, PhD
The A. E. Seaman Mineral Museum of Michigan Technological University has a long history, extending back to the origins of the University in 1885, when it was founded as the Michigan College of Mines. You can plan a visit, view our collections, or read more in Museum History.
With the largest public exhibit of an outstanding collection of minerals from the Great Lakes region, we are the unofficial Great Lakes Mineral Museum. On April 24, 1990, the Michigan legislature officially made the A. E. Seaman Mineral Museum the Mineral Museum of Michigan, furthering our mission to educate and engage the people of Michigan about topics of mineralogy and geology.
Visitors from across the US come to see our nationally and internationally recognized collection and exhibits. Through exhibits at widely attended mineral shows and satellites, at locations such as the State of Michigan Visitor Center at the Mackinac Bridge and Marquette, the museum touches many other people. We are a member of the Association of Academic Museums and Galleries.
Browse the A. E. Seaman Mineral Museum Collections:
A. E. Seaman Mineral Museum Publications